Boothe has led the Young Ambassadors since 1979 and was a performer in the first Young Ambassadors tour. The Young Ambassadors have toured all over the world, sharing their talents and the standards of BYU with dignitaries and high-ranking officials and even the crowds waiting for a flight at the airport. Boothe has also directed the music at Jackson Hole Playhouse for over thirty years. He has remained at BYU despite job offers at other prestigious organizations, including Disney.
Boothe has directed multiple large productions for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, including Faith in Every Footstep, Utah's 1997 Sesquicentennial Spectacular, and Light of the World, presented during the 2002 Winter Olympic Games. He also directed Remembering the Prophet Joseph, a 200th anniversary celebration, and both Luz de las Naciones and Tesoros de las Americas, the 2004 and 2006 Hispanic celebrations hosted in the LDS Conference Center.
Boothe presented the speech, Seasons of Choice, at a BYU devotional in 2003.
At the April 2012 convocation for the School of Music, Boothe provided the piano accompaniment for the Music Dance Theatre students' performance of "The New World" from Jason Brown's Songs for a New World.
In 2013, the Young Ambassadors performed at the Conference Center in Salt Lake City, Utah. Their program included songs through the decades, from Gershwin to Miley Cyrus, all focused around the theme, Harmony: The Music of Life.
In January 2014, Boothe was featured in the Utah Valley Magazine's Music That Moves section. In the article, Boothe shares his passion and involvements with music and the Young Ambassadors. In February 2014, he received a Star Award at the SCERA Theatre for his lifelong contributions in theatre. In November of that year, Boothe was the music advisor for the musical Paint My Eyes, written by BYU student Jamie Erekson. This production was funded by BYU's Laycock Center for Creative Collaboration in the Arts.
- BYU CFAC News - Young Ambassadors' Randy Boothe Recognized for Lifelong Contributions (26 Feb 2014)
- Utah Valley Magazine - Meet the Music Man Behind Young Ambassadors (25 Jan 2014)
- BYU CFAC News - CFAC Associate Dean Featured in this month's Utah Valley Magazine (9 Jan 2014)
- The Universe - Young Ambassadors Perform at the Conference Center (14 Feb 2013)
- The Daily Herald - Living Legend: Provo Woman Honored for her Contributions to BYU Performing Arts (15 April 2012)
- The Daily Universe - Young Ambassadors Share Talents in Midwest (23 June 2010)
- Daily Herald - BYU Offers Early Look at New Ballpark Musical (25 Mar 2010)
- Deseret News - Young Ambassadors, Alumni get set to Celebrate 40 Years (6 Feb 2010)
- BYU Speeches - Seasons of Choice (4 Feb 2003)
- Orem Connection: Arts, Recreation, Education - Arts: Star Awards (Spring 2014), pages 9-10.
- Rogers, Brittany Karford. “Encyclopedia of Musical Alumni.” BYU Magazine. 2007. Brigham Young University. 28 Dec 2007. <http://magazine.byu.edu/?act=view&a=2085>.