Susan Hobson Kenney
Susan Hobson Kenney was an associate professor of music education in BYU’s School of Music until her retirement in 2014.
After she finished a BS degree in Elementary Education at the University of Utah, she received her MA in Music Education from Brigham Young University in 1978. Since then, Kenney has consulted with Sesame Street, Shari Lewis and Lamb Chop, and the U.S. Department of Education on the importance of exposing children to music.
In 2008 Kenney was recognized in McKay Today Magazine for her work mentoring Valerie Robinson, a music student who has been working in a local elementary school.
She and her husband Scott are the parents of two daughters and grandparents of two brilliant boys.
Recognition and Awards
Kenney has served in numerous capacities, including:
- National Chair of MENC's Society for General Music
- Member of the National Editorial Board for the Music Educators Journal
- Elementary Vice-President of the UMEA
- Head of UMEA'S Teachers of Elementary Classroom Music (TECM)
- Founding editor of The Musical Classroom, a publication designed to provide music education ideas for classroom teacher, and to help them network with music educators.
- Founder of BYU’s Early Childhood Music Academy
- Founder of "Music in Early Childhood Day"
She has also presented at workshops across the United States, in Russia, Ukraine, and Italy. In 2010 she presented papers on music education for young children at two international conferences in Beijing, China, resulting in collaboration with a music educator at an Arab/Israeli school in Israel and an invitation to present at an International Piano Education Conference in Greece in 2011. She was also invited by MENC leaders to share her work in early childhood at the MENC Professional Development Conference in Washington, DC in June 2011.
Her numerous articles and chapters in books focus on children's music making from birth through elementary school.
In February 2011 Kenney received the Superior Accomplishment Award from the Utah Music Educators Association for her outstanding career in music education. At the UMEA's 2013 conference Kenney presented a lecture on Developing Reading Skills Through Music.
- BYU Magazine: Mini Music Makers (Fall 20007)
- BYU Magazine - Encyclopedia of Musical Alumni (28 December 2007)
- Olsen, Megan A. “Mini Music Makers.” BYU Magazine. Fall 2007. Pg. 19.
- "The Arts Are Alive!." McKay Today Magazine. Brigham Young University. Spring 2008:16.
- Transcript of Interview with Susan Kenney, March 2014