Robert T. Barrett
Barrett’s work has also been exhibited at the Annual Utah Illustrator’s Exhibitions, the Annual Springville Salons and exhibits at the Salt Lake Art Center. He has had a number of one-man shows including those at the Springville Art Museum, the St. George Art Museum, the Kimball Art Center, Repartee Gallery, and the Busam Gallerie in Berlin Germany.
Barrett studied painting in Europe as the recipient of a German Academic Exchange Grant and was an Artist in Residence at the Kimball Art Center as the recipient of a joint grant from The National Endowment for the Arts and the Utah Arts Council. He has received multiple awards for his work both locally and nationally. His work has been featured in International Artists, Southwest Art, Artist’s, and American Artist magazines.
Sixteen of his paintings are on display at the corporate headquarters of the Southern Baptist Sunday School Board in Nashville, Tennessee. His “Portraits of the Prophets” series are on permanent display on the BYU campus and various other paintings hang in LDS Temples and Visitors Centers throughout the world.
Barrett is a member of the Society of Illustrators, the Illustrator’s Partnership of America, the Pastel Society of America, the Portrait Society of America, and the Salmagundi Club. He is currently a professor at BYU and has served as an Associate Dean of the College of Fine Arts and Communications.
In 2006 Barrett was able to attend the Portrait Society of America annual conference. At the conference he also presented two workshops.
In 2009 Barrett was chosen to illustrate children's books about Barack and Michelle Obama.
To his surprise and delight, in 2012 Barrett was commissioned to paint the portrait of Thomas S. Monson. As he sat in the office of the Prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints he was reminded of what a "wonderful, kind man" President Monson is. Throughout his career, Barrett has painted various works of art for the church, ranging from small paintings for the Friend and Ensign, to book covers, to his now official portrait of President Monson. Barrett is a talented artist and and has taught countless students, some of whom went on to establish careers with DreamWorks and Disney Features.
In 2010, the Society of Illustrators designated Barrett as a "Distinguished Educator in the Arts." He was also invited to participate in "Sketchbook Confidential."
In August 2012 Barrett was awarded the prestigious Phi Kappa Phi Artist Award from Phi Kappa Phi, America's oldest, largest, and most selective all-discipline honor society. Along with the award, Barrett will receive $1,000 and a ticket to the society's annual convention.
- BYU Magazine - College Buzz (Summer 2012)
- The Universe - From Moab to magic, mischief, and miracle (9 May 2012)
- The Daily Herald BYU professor paints prophets, illustrates Obamas (15 April 2012)
- Deseret News - BYU art professor paints prophets, illustrates books about the Obamas (10 April 2012)
- BYU News - Presidents and Prophets: A BYU artist's works (19 Mar 2012)
- The Universe - BYU Professor voted distinguished educator (20 May 2010)
- BYU Magazine - Presidential Picture Book (Winter 2010)
- The Daily Universe - LDS artist uses painting talents to bring history to life (11 Nov 2009)
- The Daily Universe - BYU professor illustrates life of Obama (16 Jul 2009)
- The Deseret News - BYU prof illustrating Obama children's book (28 Jun 2009)