Garrett Tenney graduated with a bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism from Brigham Young University in 2010. While in school Tenney also received the Society of Professional Journalists' Mark of Excellence award.
In March 2013, Tenney became a Correspondent for Fox News Channel. He is now based out of FNC's National Midwest Bureau in Chicago, IL.
From January 2011 to March 2013, Tenney worked for the national Fox News Channel as one of FNC's first Junior Reporters. Based in Jackson, MS he covered the southern region of the country (MS, TN, AL, & LA) for the cable news network. Working as a one-man band he provided coverage of breaking news events in the region, including the historic Mississippi River flooding of 2011, tornadoes, and hurricanes; the 2012 Republican Presidential Primaries and General Presidential Election; and general feature stories for Fox News Channel, Fox Business Network, Fox affiliates across the country, Fox News Latino, as well as FoxNews.com.
In June 2011 Tenney won 1st Place in the Hearst National Journalism Awards Championship in the category of Television News and also received the award for “Best Use of Television in News Reporting.”
In the summer of 2010 Tenney was one of five finalists at the 50th annual National Broadcast News Championships of the Hearst Journalism Awards Program in New York City. He also took first place in the "Best Feature Reporter" and "Best Overall Reporter" categories in the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) Mark of Excellence Regional Competition held in Denver, Colorado the same year.
In 2009 Tenney won first place in the "Television Features" category in the William Randolph Hearst Foundation's Journalism Awards Program. He was the top contestant out of more than 110 submissions and was invited to compete nationally.
- Fox News Channel Junior Reporter - Garrett Tenney
- The Daily Universe - BYU broadcasters sweep Hearst National Championships (27 June 2011)
- BYU News - BYU student broadcasters sweep Hearst National Championships (22 June 2011)
- The William Randolph Hearst Foundation - Hearst Broadcast News Competition I Winners Named (15 January 2010)
- SPJ News - SPJ announces 2009 Region 9 Mark of Excellence Award Winners (12 April 2010)
- The William Randolph Hearst Foundation - Hearst Broadcast Semi-Finalists Named (7 May 2010)
- BYU Department Update - BYU Student Recognized as Best in Region by Society of Professional Journalists (7 May 2010)
- The William Randolph Hearst Foundation - Hearst Intercollegiate Winners Named (18 May 2010)
- BYU Department Update - BYU Broadcast Program Sixth in the Nation (22 June 2010)
- The William Randolph Hearst Foundation - 2010 Hearst Championship Winners Named (28 June 2010)