Douglas E. Bush
PersonalBrigham Young University Idaho.) It was here that Bush met Professor Ruth Barrus who introduced him to symphonic and orchestral music. After a year at Ricks College, Bush was called on an LDS mission to Switzerland. His mission exposed him to many more artistic experiences such as a performance of Bach's B-Minor Mass in Zurich Grossmunster. Upon returning from his mission, Bush attended Brigham Young University.
He graduated from Brigham Young University in 1972 with a Bachelor in Music Performance and 1974 with a Masters of Music. Bush continued his education at the University of Texas at Austin, completing his PhD in Musicology in 1982.
Dr. Bush concertized extensively in the United States, Mexico, and Europe and has been a featured soloist in several concert series. European tours have included concerts in Austria, Denmark, England, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Norway, and Switzerland. He taught for many years at BYU and was a frequent guest organist for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square.
Bush conducted numerous master classes and workshops on organ literature, church music, the music of Johann Sebastian Bach, and published both organ and choral music for church use. Bush has also published several articles in journals, magazines, and books. In 2006 Dr. Bush published an encyclopedia on the organ with Routledge Press in New York City. His musicological research focused on the use of the organ in the Roman Catholic and Protestant liturgies of the German Renaissance and Baroque periods, as well as the music of Samuel Scheidt, Nicolas de Grigny, and Johann Sebastian Bach. His academic awards have included several grants for European research, the Alcuin Fellowship for General Education at BYU (1991), and several teaching awards. He also received BYU's Alumni Professorship award in 2011.
- Douglas Bush (6 October 2013)
- An Unlikely Road of Travel - Convocation Address (16 August 2013)
- BYU Magazine - And the Grammy goes to... (Spring 2012)
- The Daily Herald - College Notes (28 Aug 2011)
- The Daily Universe - Concert holds tribute to Provo Tabernacle (14 March 2011)
- The Daily Universe - Douglas Bush to give free organ recital based on 'hymn settings' (9 Oct 2008)
- BYU Magazine - Encyclopedia of Musical Alumni (28 December 2007)
- BYU Magazine - Professors of the Century (Spring 2000)