Albert Miller

From College of Fine Arts and Communications
Jump to: navigation, search
Albert Miller
Ernest Ludwig Adelbert Muller, known as Albert Miller, was born on July 13, 1875, in Vargula, Germany to Carl F. and Johanna Ward Muller.

Miller received his early musical training in his home town and joined the army when he was 18. After serving as a violinist and a trumpeter, he was released and moved to Dresden. In Dresden, he became a member of the LDS Church and also met his wife, Elsa Muller (this is her maiden name).

In 1899, while in Utah to attend the LDS Temple, he was invited to assist in teaching music at Brigham Young Academy. He sent for Elsa, and they were sealed in the Salt Lake Temple on January 2, 1901. Together they had three children, Hilda, Karl Albert, and Albert, who was born soon after her father's death January 31, 1906.

They settled in Provo, and he became a teacher of music and organized the first BY Academy band and orchestra. He also gave private music lessons on all instruments, often free of charge.

The Albert Miller Orchestra Room (E-250) in the Harris Fine Arts Center was named after him, and is a rehearsal space for instrumental groups.

References

  • Special Program for Naming of Areas, Franklin S. Harris Fine Arts Center. Tuesday, November 23, 1965 at Brigham Young University, Provo, UT 84602.
  • T. Earl Pardoe, The Sons of Brigham. 1969. BYU Alumni Association, Provo, Utah, 84602.
Personal tools